Sunday, April 7, 2013

Review: Battlefront Focke-Wulf 190 F8

In preparation for the Market Garden Flames of War tournament at Huzzah Hobbies next weekend, I decided I wanted to take some air support.  Unfortunately, the lists in Bridge by Bridge only use FW-190 F8s, which I didn't have ready access to (even through friends).  As such, I decided it was worth trucking over to Eagle and Empire and plopping down $18 for the plane.  This would be my first German plane and after seeing that it can be used in both mid and late-war (slightly different model, but whatever), it's a decent investment.

In the kit, you get a fuselage, 2 cannon pieces, a nose piece, 2 bombs, a flight stand and some decals.



Everything came through ok with the exception of the rear of the fuselage.  Both sides on the bottom had some miscast areas that looked like the resin had folded over itself.  Not a huge deal, but noticeable upon close inspection.  Everything went together ok, though the cannons are a tight fit in the grooves on the front of the wings.

I sprayed it dark grey on top and white on the underside, and then washed both sides with black.  I then hand painted on some Vallejo London Grey on top and Sky Grey on the underside.  The camo scheme that BF suggest was ok, but I did a quick google search and turned up this page (http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/08/stuff_eng_profile_fw190a4.htm).  I tried my best to copy the Buehlingen scheme.  I think it turned out pretty well!  I opted against the swastika tail markings, but did add 2 Tank Kill markers.  I'll let you all know how this foul fighter ace does in his attempts to thwart Frost's landings around Arnhem after the tournament.







No comments:

Post a Comment